Sometimes, Tarot reading can be brutal. This art form, is not just about learning the meanings and then getting the answers you love. You either get an outcome you do not like, or the cards are not what you would have preferred. Here, I am going to teach you a spread which outlines how you can achieve your desired outcome.
I love Tarot spreads, I even wrote an e-book on love Tarot spreads. I know that having the right spread can really make the difference in your Tarot reading.
If you have perfomed a spread which gives you negative or neurtal cards (cards which are silent on the matter at hand) then you should try another spread to see how you can get the outcome you desire.
For this post, I am going to use an imaginary seeker called Sally because I have used this example previously in the yes/no posts here and here. Sally is a dress-maker who wants to make a career from her passion. In her last readings the outcome was not what she wanted so I am going to do a spread which can show her the steps she is to take to make her business a success.
If the cards are somewhat neutral (positive but silent on the matter at hand), then I would say you should perform another spread to see how the seeker can get the outcome they desire. This spread outlines ways which the seeker can achieve their desired outcome in several steps.
Here are the steps for creating this spread:
1. Decide if you prefer using 5, 7 or 9 cards for this spread. I am sticking to 5 for the sake of making this post shorter in real life probably go for 7.
2. Pick your question. “How can the seeker achieve their goals of x” is pretty safe. In Sally’s case, we are asking how she can reach her goal and make a good living from her business.
3. Go through your deck and select whichever card represents the seeker’s current situation. Sally, I will take as being represented by an Ace of Wands because she has the basic foundations of her business and has already received the first financial rewards for her hard work. Place whichever card you chose down on your work surface.
4. Go through your deck again and pick a card which represents what the seeker wishes to obtain. Sally wants a half decent living so for this I shall select a 9 of Pentacles but other, similar cards will do. Place this card next to your first card with some distance like this:
5. Shuffle your deck and lay the number of cards which you have decided to use on your work surface.
6. Turn the cards over. Your reading should now look something like this:
The Ace of Wands, Page of Pentacles, King of Swords, 7 of Pentacles and 9 of Pentacles
7. Interpret these cards. These cards predict the steps which the seeker needs to take to receive the life which they would like. Here is my interpretation.
“Sally firstly receives a Page of Pentacles which I would read as her having the resources which she needs to make her business successful (talent) but not the money to do so. There are also things she needs to learn, possibly how to manage her money. The King of Swords represents an expert who gives decent yet costly advice. Sally doesn’t know the first thing about business so may need to invest in a coach or consultant to assist her. Sally also needs to think out logically how she can make a business successful as, in business, passion is not enough. A logical approach mirrors the idea in the 7 of Pentacles which is associated with planning for the future. She must make long-term plans for her business instead of taking it day by day. I would say that a business plan is a necessity if she is to achieve any of her goals. After this, her business will be sustainable”.
In a real life reading, Sally would be given an action plan to work through and then told to come back once she has done those things. If she has, then her reading would have changed, and she will be living happily ever after. If not, then she will not be in the position which she wants to be in the future.
Some may wonder why I go into an ‘advisory’ reading when I specialise in prediction. It is falsely assumed that those who read for prediction believe that the future is fixed. Destiny, fortune-telling, and free will is something which I deal with at length in other parts of this website.
Finally, if you are performing a love reading and you want to get off to the best start by using a great spread, feel free to check out my Love Tarot Spreads e-book.
Want to learn some predictive Tarot card meanings? Then sign up below for the free Predictive Tarot Card Meanings e-guide. It’s fun, free and instantly downloadable on mobile, tablet and computer!
Card used in this post are The Laughing Eye, Weeping Eye Tarot by Rebecca Schoenecker. Used with permission.