Facts about Diviners, Psychics and Fortune Tellers

Are you looking for some statistical facts about psychic readers, fortune tellers, and diviners? Curious to know how many are professional readers? Wondering what is the average age people start reading Tarot, astrology, Lenormand or giving psychic readings? How many men and women are psychics? This post will explain.

Art Illustration - Facts and statistics about divination practitioners, fortune tellers, tarot card readers, astrologers, numerologists and Lenormand card readers and psychics working in the spiritual industry. .png

First of all I would like to say thanks for everyone who took part in The Big Divination Survey 2019, you rock! Today we are going to look at the results. 

If you’re new to Divination & Fortune Telling, my name is Lisa Boswell and I run both the Divination and Fortune Telling website and Read Lenormand site. During August 2019, I conducted a survey on divination practitioners to measure their likes, dislikes and to reveal what they are practicing, and here are the results.

A total of nearly 1000 diviners (947) took the survey. As far as I know, this is the largest study of divination practitioners ever conducted. 

In fact, the survey was so large I have to share the results in three parts otherwise we are going to be sitting here all day reading results which are too large for your inboxes! This week, we are going to be looking at the general demographics of readers including their gender identity, age, and whether or not they have gone pro (or would like to). 

Not only is the information gathered from these surveys fun to read, they can also tell you a lot about what types of people are interested in divination. So if you work in the spiritual, psychic and/or divination industries professionally and are looking to go into something like teaching, advertising, product creation or even writing, these results will be useful to you. 

If you quote any facts which you have read here either on social media, in a magazine, or blogpost, please link back to (www.divinationandfortunetelling.com and give us credit. As long as you give Divination & Fortune Telling credit, you can use the results as you wish. 

Finally, I would like to say that I am sharing this information here with you today, but a full write up and break down of the results and trends are going to be published in the future. But more on that another time!

Again, thanks to everyone who took part in the survey. Next time I conduct the survey, we are going to go bigger and better so keep your eye’s peeled! 

Here are the results: 

The Countries where Readers Reside

U.S.A - 51%

UK - 14%

The Rest of Europe - 11%

Australia & New Zealand - 7%

Canada - 6%

South America - 3%

East Asia (Japan, China, etc.) -  3%

India - 2%

Africa - 2%

Islamic Asia (Jordan, Iran, etc) - 1%

Obviously the survey was in English so it was mostly English speaking countries who took the survey, making it more representative of the West. Next time, if I want to compare and contrast diviners from different countries, I will expand the survey by getting it translated into Spanish and possibly Chinese or Arabic. 

Gender

While most readers are female, there are considerable proportions who are male (8%) and a small amount (less than 1%) who appear under the ‘gender-queer’ umbrella. There are some methods of divination which are more likely to attract men, such as Lenormand. 

Age they Began Practicing Divination 

The average age to start practicing divination has risen from 27 to 32 in the last five years. This means that diviners are beginning their divination journey at a much later date than they have previously. 

Age Range

The smallest age ranges of readers are over seventy (1%), in their sixties (7%) and in their teenage years (3%). I feel the more mature age’s numbers are probably representative of life expectancy dropping off as people get older. Not many teens practice divination, so this is why this number is so low. 

After these numbers, comes the 50’s age range which makes up 16% of diviners. I am actually quite surprised at this as I assumed this number would be higher. 

The biggest proportions of diviners are in their 20’s (21%), 30’s (27%) and 40’s (24%). The proportion of these readers are pretty similar, and they make up the vast majority of divination practitioners (72%). 

How Long they have Been Practicing Divination

The vast majority of diviners are newbies (54%) who have been practicing for less than a year (21%) or between one and five years (33%). I think these stats are due to the growing popularity of Tarot and other divination methods in the last few years. 

After newbies, the highest proportion of diviners are what could be considered as very experienced readers who have been reading for more than twenty years (21%). If the newbies of today stick to their divination journey, this number will rise in the future. 

Finally, the smallest amount of readers have been diviners for between five and ten years (11%) after them comes readers who have been reading for between ten and twenty years (14%). It is possible that these stats reflect the fact that many people begin their divination journey but do not stick with it longer than five years. However, the ones which do end up being readers well into the future for 10+ or even 20+ years. 

First Method of Divination 

The most common first methods of divination are as follows: 

Tarot - 55%               

Playing Cards - 11%   

Astrology - 6%  

Pendulum - 5%                  

Oracle cards - 4%     

Runes - 2%                

Lenormand - 2%              

Palmistry - 1%       

I Ching - 1%        

Gypsy Cards - 1%

Most other methods of divination represented under 1% of the divination population. However, there was a wide veriaty of methods including using online generators, sticks, stones, shells, the wind, coin flipping, mirrors, water, trees, automatic writing, and the movement of birds. 

Support from Friends and Family 

Of all diviners who answered 22% said that their friends and family were not supportive of them practicing divination. While I am sure that this number will drop in the coming years, there is still a significant proportion of the divination community who are reading without support. 

Diviners in the Family 

Surprisingly, most divination practitioners are the first in their family to practice divination (58%). Next, the largest proportion have ancestors who were diviners (21%), and equal amounts have both ancestors and close family members who are diviners (10%) or just close family members who are also diviners (10%). 

Professional Diviners

Only a small percentage of diviners (3%) believe that it is wrong to charge money for Tarot readings or readings with divination tools. The rest of the divination population are either professionals (38%) or do not believe it is wrong to charge for readings but have no interest in doing so (59%). 

Of the diviners who do read for a payment, the vast majority only make a small amount of money (67%). The rest make either a part-time income (24%) or a full-time living (9%) from their craft. 

Despite the fact that most diviners are not professional, most are either interested (18%) or very interested (42%) in learning more about marketing, and making more money, and working as a professional diviner (total 60%). 

However, a significant proportion of the diviner population are not interested in learning more about the business side of divination. Just under 8% said they were not interested and 15% said they were very disinterested (total 23% not interested). The remainder of diviners said they were indifferent (17%) when it comes to learning more about business. 

So, that is it for this week’s results, stay tuned for more facts about divination practitioners. Next week, we are going to look at which methods are most popular, and which systems have the highest percentage of advanced or newbie readers. 

Till next week! Have a great week! And, if you’re new to divination (or would like to brush up on your skills) you can download this free Tarot for Beginners guide below. It is fun, free and accessible on mobile, tablet and computer: