Have you ever wanted to be able to answer yes or no using Tarot? Do you crave some hard and fast rules? Then the first place you need to start, is a yes or Tarot card card spread!
The Yes or No Tarot Spread can be used for any type of question for answering yes or no. It is efficient, and is ideal if you're short on time. However, it isn't as accurate as some spreads. If you're reading on love, I have a Love Tarot Spreads E-Book you might want to check out after reading this post.
For this exercise, let's pretend we have an imaginary seeker named Sally who wishes to become a professional dressmaker. She has received some interest and bookings from friends lately. She would like to know if she can make it a profitable business and if her career will take off. Here are Sally's cards:
For The Yes or No Tarot Spread, all that is required is that there are more upright cards than reversed for a positive result. So, if 2 or 3 cards are upright, it is a yes. If 2 or 3 cards are reversed, it is a no.
Surprisingly, for this spread, the answer would indeed be yes, for Sally due to the fact all of her cards are upright.
For this spread, it does not matter if the cards have a positive or negative interpretation. Because the majority of cards were upright, Sally would be encouraged to follow her passion despite the fact that these cards have a negative interpretation. However, if more cards were reversed than upright, then the answer would be no.
If you would like to try technique one for yourself here are the steps:
0. Before you even begin to think about the pre-reading, you have to think about the pre-pre-reading! Ask the spirits of your ancestors for help and guidance during your reading, and hold the intention that you are going to read your destiny.
1. It is important before the reading that you commit to a set question and card amount. If you tell yourself that you will only use three cards to get your answer then you should only use three cards. Commit to your card number and the question before you begin as not to confuse yourself.
2. Reversals are required for this spread. Half of the deck should be reversed, so rotate half of them before or during the shuffling process. For the best result, ensure they are split evenly.
3. Shuffle the cards.
4. Lay cards out in a pyramid. I recommend a pyramid because if the cards are read in a line then, the reader may accidentally fall into the habit of reading them as “past, present, future.” This particular question only deals with the future so should only be read this way.
5. After a quick glance at the cards, it is easy to see if the answer is yes or no. Remember if the majority of cards are upright it is a yes, if the majority is reversed it is a no.
There are benefits for answering a yes or no question using this spread, and one of them is obviously ease. This spread is so simple to learn that even those who do not know Tarot can learn how to perform yes/no readings. Another benefit is quickness; you can fire this reading out when you're short for time. However, there are negatives to using spread like this one.
Spread such as these can lack substance because you do not really have much to go on other than a yes or a no. There is also the question of what to do about negative cards which are upright, how would you interpret a 10 of Swords upright, for example.
An accurate Tarot reading (especially a predictive one) is obtained by reading the entire spread. You must take into account the past, the future, the feel of the reading, how the cards interact etc. It is not enough to just look at how the cards fall.
I am not a fan of this spread because I have personally found it to be inaccurate. I also feel that the negatives outweigh the positives. I like my readings to have detail and generally don't like reversals (for me they just feel wrong). However, I know other readers who sing this spread’s praises so you should try it for yourself and see how you get on!
Are you looking for some predictive Tarot card spreads? Do you want a free 10-card Tarot spread e-book, with spreads for love, life and business? Then feel free to grab the free Predictive Tarot Spreads PDF Guide below. It’s 100% free and available to download on mobile, tablet and computer!